Wednesday, August 29, 2012

8-27-12 Yasiel Puig

Since this was the last home stand for the Rancho Cucamonga Quakes this year I decided to attend the Quakes vs San Jose Giants game after work. My goal was to get Yasiel Puig's autograph since I knew this might be my best shot at getting his autograph before he gets sent up to double or triple A baseball next year. If you don't know who Yasiel Puig is you can read about him here.

As soon as I got out of work I headed straight to the stadium. I arrived around 5:30pm and the stadium was really empty. The game was scheduled to start at 7:05 and they let fans in 1 hour before the game. If this game was held at any MLB ballpark there would be hundreds of fans waiting in line to get inside.

After I bought my game ticket I noticed a fellow grapher waiting near the player parking lot. He informed me that Yasiel and a few of the Quakes players went out to get food so he would be coming back soon. He ended up getting Yasiel to sign a photo for him. Thus I waited until Yasiel came back. At around 6pm Yasiel finally came back to the stadium and signed my ROMLB on the SS with the "Dodgers" inscription. Yasiel was also nice enough to take a photo with me as well. As you can see I literally drove to the stadium straight after work since I still have my scrubs on.




After I got Yasiel's autograph I went inside the stadium and took some photos. You can see how empty the place is. It's simply awesome for graphing and ballhawking since the stadium is really empty.






During warmups while I was waiting near the Quakes dugout, I convinced Alexis Aguilar to toss me a baseball.



I decided to wait for Yasiel again to get another baseball signed. I needed another ROMLB signed for my friend Benson who couldn't make it out today to graph with me at the Quakes game. Yasiel was being interviewed by a reporter and his translator was assisting Yasiel throughout the process.




Afterwards Yasiel took my baseball and pen to the dugout and ended up signing my second ball of the day. After signing he literally walked over to me and handed me the baseball. This one was for Benson.



Then he took a break in signing. A few moments later he started to sign again for the fans. A grapher next to me didn't have anything for Yasiel to sign so he helped me get my Dodgers 50th ball (from Dodger stadium BP earlier this year) signed. He asked him to sign underneath the logo but I don't think he understood. Thus Yasiel accidentally side panelled the baseball.


Since Yasiel was in a good mood I decided to ask him for one last autograph to get my Cal League baseball I just got from Alexis Aguilar signed.


I wish players in the MLB were nice as the guys in the minors. They can learn a thing or two. I ended up getting four baseballs signed by Yasiel today.



As I was about to leave I noticed that Tommy Lasorda was in attendance near the homeplate seats. Tommy was signing autographs for fans at the end of each inning. Thus I went over and got in line. I've had Tommy sign for me twice in the past, once at a Quakes game last year and the other time at a car dealership this year. Since I already had two baseballs signed I decided to get another one signed by Tommy for my buddy Benson who never got Tommy's autograph before. All I had were ROMLBs in my backpack so I ended up getting Tommy to sign a ROMLB on the SS.



Afterwards I decided to take some photos of Yasiel batting before I left the stadium




2 comments:

  1. Great job! I would love to hit Rancho one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't really follow baseball but, it's pretty cool you got multiple Puig graphs plus a pic with him easy before he blew up.

    ReplyDelete