Thursday, April 26, 2012

James Worthy and Tommy Lasorda Mountain View Chevrolet 4-26-12

I attended the Mountain View Chevrolet Grand Opening after work today thanks to a tip from my friend Spencer. Spencer informed me that James Worthy was scheduled to make an appearance from 5:30-8:00pm. I had work today so I decided to check out the event afterwards since the event was nearby in Upland. This wasn't an official autograph signing but I did bring a few items to get signed just in case. James was a guest of the dealership so there was no guarantee we'd end up with autographs today but it was worth the risk since the dealership was nearby. As soon as I got out of work I got a text from Spencer that Tommy Lasorda showed up to the event as well. Thus I headed out to Sports Chalet to pick up an ROMLB. I didn't come prepared since I only brought basketball related items.

I arrived around 6:00 to the event and I noticed that most of the guests were dressed up in formal attire. It was a nice event with catering and an open bar too. Not many graphers were there since the event wasn't publicized all over the autographing blog world. Only about 10 graphers were there including me, Spencer, Big Mike from https://www.facebook.com/bigmike.autographaddicts, Larry, Manuel, Eddie, and Alex from http://thinkredinstead.blogspot.com/. It was nice not having to head out early or camp out for this event since it was low key.

I noticed that James Worthy was in the back of the dealership chatting with guests and taking pictures with fans. Since I arrived a bit late some of the other graphers already told me that James signed for fans but he did some rushed short handed signatures. I was a bit worried that i'd get the same type of signature so I decided to hold back and not get my Official NBA Basketball signed. Instead I took the risk and had James sign my Lakers Forum Floor. I'm starting a new project where I am planning to add all living Lakers with retired jersey numbers on one floor piece. Thus I added James Worthy to my Gail Goodrich floor piece. James was nice enough to take a picture with me as well after signing my floor piece. I was happy with the results.



After getting James Worthy's autograph I went back to my car to drop my signed floor off. It began to rain a bit so I didn't want the signed floor to get damaged. When I got back to the dealership I went inside to look for Tommy. Tommy was sitting in one of the rooms of the dealership and there was a big crowd gathered around him. Surprisingly he was in a good mood. I guess he took advantage of the open bar. Normally he is cranky but today he was nice. I was still a bit nervous to ask him for an autograph with the HOF inscription so I went after a few others got his autograph before me. Tommy was also nice enough to take a photo with me as well and inscribed HOF 97 on my baseball. Thanks Tommy.



Overall it was a great event with free food and it was nice chatting it up with my fellow graphers. I want to thank Spencer again for the info. Good looking out bro.

7 comments:

  1. Very nice! This one was totally low key. I didn't even hear a whisper of this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea surprisingly it was never mentioned on any website or blog from the autograph community. I guess it's because this wasn't an official signing. I went out there with no expectations. Tommy randomly showing up was pure luck. Are you attending the Javy Guerra signing this weekend?

      Delete
  2. nice! tommy has been in a good mood all week, he signed at dodger stadium against the braves during the games and you know tommy while the game is going dont talk to him so maybe he is beginning to be a jolly man lol. Good work David!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alejandro. Yeah we all know not to interrupt Tommy while the game is going on. LOL

      Delete
  3. sometimes i hate looking at your blog! lol good stuff man..

    ReplyDelete
  4. sweet lasorda ball!!!!!

    Kelly B

    ReplyDelete