Friday, July 1, 2011

Angels vs Dodgers Series July 1-3, 2011 Recap

I attended the Angels vs Dodgers Series from July 1-3, 2011. I didn't actually go to any of the games but I did end up graphing the Dodgers as they were leaving and coming into the stadium each day. My goal for this series was to get as many Dodgers autographs I can, to get Andre Ethier to sign his authentic jersey for me, as well as getting Don Mattingly on my Yankee baseball. Here is a recap of each day.

July 1, 2011 Recap
I decided to graph the Dodgers after the game. It's hard for me to graph during the weekdays due to work. The game was on a Friday so after work I had dinner and went to the players parking lot in the stadium to graph the Dodgers. Most of the Dodgers drive in and park in the back of Angels Stadium. The first Dodger autograph I got that night was Matt Kemp on my mini helmet. This was pure luck. There was a mob of Dodger fans waiting outside near the parking lot to graph the Dodgers. Matt had a driver pick him up on an Escalade and the car drove into the tunnel to pick up Matt Kemp. Thus we all thought Matt was leaving and wouldn't be signing that night. Surprisingly Matt had his driver stop the car and he came out right in front of me and picked up my mini helmet and signed it for me. Then people started to push up against me trying to get Matt to sign there items. All I wanted to do was get out of the crowd after I got my helmet signed. Matt is the nicest guy, he didn't need to get out of his car and stop to sign for us and he signed for about 15 mins for as many fans as possible. I also ended up getting Tony Gwynn Jr on the mini as well. Here is a picture of the Kemp signature on my mini helmet.


More players started to rush out including Dee Gordon, James Loney and Kenley Jansen. I had each player sign my ROMLB on the SS. Since there was a big crowd and a rush for autographs I didn't get a chance to take a lot of pictures. I tried getting Andre Ethier to sign my jersey but he was in a rush to drive home and didn't sign for anyone. He told us he'd sign the next day.





July 2, 2011 Recap
I woke up a bit late the morning. As soon as I arrived at the stadium parking lot around 9:30 am I saw a group of fans getting Matt Kemp's autograph. I ran over and got Kemp to sign my ROMLB on the SS.






Another fan mentioned that I missed Coach Mattingly by 15 mins. He was there signing for all the fans. I was really bummed to hear that. If only I had woken up a bit earlier. I still have yet to get Don Mattingly's autograph. That's one of my goals to get for the upcoming season.

The great news was that Andre Ethier came by and he signed my authentic jersey. He signed for about 15 mins chatting it up with the fans. The funny moment was when a fan requested that Andre sign that infamous photo of him giving the cameraman the middle finger. Andre replied angrily to the fan "No I can't sign that picture." Soon afterwards he laughed and said "Just kidding, i'll sign that picture for you." What a cool guy. Here is a picture of my signed Ethier jersey.








Jonathon Broxton, Rick Honeycutt, Dee Gordon, Chad Billingsley, and Rod Barajas also came by and signed my mini helmet.










July 3, 2011 Recap
I headed out to the stadium early in the morning again to try to get Coach Mattingly. Another epic fail. I was able to get several autographs prior to the last game of the series. I had Aj Ellis, Dave Hansen, Jamey Carroll, Trey Hillman, Andre Ethier, and Rubby De La Rosa sign my mini helmet. (refer to the pictures above). Andre also signed a ROMLB on the SS for me as well as a bat.









I also had Dee Gordon, Rubby De La Rosa, and James Loney sign the Dodgers team bat.



Then I had Rod Barajas and Tony Gwynn Jr sign my old ROMLB from BP. Tony gave me a weird look when i asked him to sweet spot the baseball.







Outside of the fact that I missed Coach Mattingly again i'd consider this three day total of signing without attending any of the games a nice haul. I was happy to reach two out of the three goals I had that weekend. Maybe i'll get Mattingly this upcoming season.

2 comments:

  1. Is this right in front of the Stadium? I might give it a shot at the Spring Training game they're having next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Players park behind the stadium. The Dodgers are in town this Monday I think. It might be a great opportunity to pick up autographs of guys your are missing in your collection. The best time to get them is when they are coming in.

      Delete