Sunday, October 7, 2012

Tim Salmon Signing at Dick's Sporting Goods

Today was the second day of signings at Dick's Sporting Goods in Huntington Beach to celebrate their Grand Opening. Tim Salmon was scheduled to sign autographs from 11am to 1pm. I arrived around 8:30 and there were already about 150 fans waiting in line. I was a bit shocked to see that many fans since I figured most of the fans already had Tim's autograph from the past. Normally you would expect to see this amount of people for a current player. However Tim is and always will be Mr. Angel so I mistakenly underestimated his popularity. The staff at Dicks Sporting Goods started to hand out wristbands to the first 250 people waiting in line starting at 8am. They also handed out gift cards to the first 100 people in line.


My goal today was to get a bat signed by Tim especially since bats are always tougher to get signed since it's a hassle to carry bats around. Plus you cannot bring bats into the stadium thus it's harder to get them signed in general unless it's a paid or free signing.


In the end about 300 fans showed up. Luckily Tim was a fast signer and went though the line pretty quickly. I was able to go back in line for the second time along with the fans who didn't have wristbands and was also able to get a photo signed as well. Tim was nice enough to inscribe "2002 WS Champs" on my bat and "02 Champs" on my photo. He was also nice enough to take a photo with me as well.




After the signing I stopped by Michael's next door since I had a 50% off coupon. I decided to pick up a bat display case.







What's cool about it is that there is enough space to place a baseball in as well.

11 comments:

  1. Good job Dave! Everything looks awesome as usual!

    Just curious, how much was the bat display case?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Josh. I paid $30 for the bat display case. It retails for $60 but Michaels occasionally has 50% off coupons so I used that. They do have the deal where you buy the first item full price and get the next one for a penny but then you end up with two cases instead of one at $60. Same price but if you want just one then use the coupon instead.

      Delete
  2. Hey Dave, where did you get that casing for the shoes? Looks tight. Who signed them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use the Ultra Pro Basketball UV cases for my signed shoes; well at least the ones that fit. The one on the far left is Brandon Jennings, middle is Kevin Durant, and the last one is Blake Griffin. For basketball graphing I try to get a basketball signed first then a shoe of my favorite players.

      Delete
  3. david, found your blog and truly enjoy reading about your graphing adventures! i have a few questions...first, where can i purchase one of those spiral books i see in your photos that hold baseball cards. these spiral book hold your cards and look sweet...it also looks like it gives a baseball card the support needed with getting an autograph. second, where do you purchase your deco paint pens? thanks man

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I picked up the spiral sketch book at a local art supply store. As for deco paint pens I buy them from markersupply.com

      Delete
  4. david, thanks for the info...last question...the spiral sketch book...does it come with the taped corners to hold the cards or is that something you have to do yourself? thanks again for the info!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I buy the photo corners at Michaels so you have to add them yourself. That's the annoying part since it takes time to do that.

      Delete
  5. yeah, ok...i do appreciate the info. sweet blog...keep up the good job. thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Man I should have gone! I've gotten Salmon many times before but you can never get too much of Mr. Angel! Great job as always.

    ReplyDelete