Thursday, September 20, 2012

Nomar Garciaparra

I decided to do some post game graphing yesterday at Angel Stadium when I found out that Nomar Garciaparra was in town as an analyst for ESPN Wednesday Night Baseball. I missed out on getting Nomar's autograph last time he visited Angel Stadium for a game when the Angels were facing the Yankees. My goal tonight was to get my Authentic 2006 Dodgers Nomar Garciaparra jersey signed as well as a ROMLB.

I waited patiently with my friend James at the back of the stadium to wait for Nomar. Benson decided to go to the front of the stadium to get his Ryan Dempster jersey signed since he already got Nomar's autograph the last time Nomar was at the stadium.

There was about four of us waiting for Nomar which was great since your odds of getting an autograph gets much better if there are less people waiting. James wasn't interested in getting Nomar's autograph since he mainly collects NBA autographs so he helped me get an extra baseball signed. As soon as Nomar walked out of the media trailers I approached him and asked him politely to sign my jersey for me. He asked me for my name and was nice enough to personalize the autograph for me on the jersey. He signed it "To David All My Best, Nomar Garciaparra #5" but I wish he would have spaced the autograph out more. He somehow scrunched the entire inscription and autograph in the middle of the number five. Overall though I was happy since I ended up getting my jersey signed. I had this jersey since 2006 back when the Dodgers didn't have player names on the back of the jersey so it's always nice to complete a project.





I thanked Nomar for personalizing my jersey. It's always cool when the players take the extra time to personalize. Nomar ended up signing a ROMLB for James and after he finished signing for the rest of the fans I asked him to sign a baseball for me as well. Nomar was nice enough to sign my ROMLB on the SS.



I want to thank James again for getting me an extra baseball signed by Nomar.

Although most fans will associate Nomar having his best years as a member of the Boston Red Sox, he was part of Dodger history as well. He was responsible for hitting a walk off HR for the Dodgers in the 10th inning on September 18, 2006 which was one of the most memorable comebacks in Dodger history. This was the game where the Dodgers hit four consecutive home runs in the bottom of the 9th inning to tie the Padres and Nomar hit the walk off game winning home run in the 10th inning to win it for the Dodgers. Check out the highlight video below


Here is a picture of Nomar after the walk off HR.


I can't believe it's been six years since that highlight. Afterwards James and I went over to the front of the stadium to meet up with Benson. Unfortunately not many of the Rangers walked out through the front of the stadium similar to the previous night where we got shut out. The only player to walk out while I was in the back of the stadium getting Nomar's autograph was Roy Oswalt who ignored all autograph requests.

The only player to sign walking out was Colby Lewis who signed my 2011 Allen and Ginter Card.


That was pretty much it. Getting Nomar Garciaparra's autograph finally just made my night.

9 comments:

  1. yo met you a few times at the sit down signings my name is paul the big mexican guy.. lol i got david fresee when they were at dodgers stadium he was nice enough to sign 2 romlb ss for me curious if you would be intrested in a trade for your 2nd nomar? let me know thanks..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard Freese signed last Sunday as the Cards were leaving Dodger stadium. Congrats on getting two baseballs signed. I still need Freese in my collection. Maybe we can work a deal out when we see each other at the next signing.

      Delete
  2. Congrats on the Nomar autographs. I have a question for you. With Seattle coming into town, what's the best way to try and get Shawn Figgins autograph? He is one of my all time favorite Angels. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Figgins drives in through the visitors tunnel of the stadium. He is tough to get since he rarely signs. So far i've never gotten his autograph before and i've graphed the Mariners numerous times. My best advise is to try to get him inside during BP or try to get lucky near the visitors tunnel pregame.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the advise. I will give it a shot.

      Delete
  3. Nice Nomar autos! I regret not staying on Wednesday. This is what I get for being impatient.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Josh. I wish you and Alex rolled with us pregame for the Sox series instead of graphing the Angels pregame since we did well. Next time Nomar is in town we can go after him again. I can show you how to get his autograph.

      Delete
  4. Thanks Dave. I guess that'll be next season.

    ReplyDelete